Chapter 1 pgs 1-21
Summary: In chapter one the narrator is Nick Carraway who graduated from New Haven, participated in the Great War, and now lives at West Egg next to Gatsby’s mansion. Nick then goes to East Egg, the rich part of town, to have dinner with his cousin Daisy, her husband Tom Buchanan, and their friend Ms. Baker. At dinner they talk about many thing such as Tom’s racist views on the book "The Rise of the Colored Empires," and Nick found out that Tom has a lover in New York. When Nick returns home, he sees Gatsby in the dark, looking toward the ocean.
Character: Tom Buchanan
“Now he was a sturdy straw haired man of thirty with a rather hard mouth and a supercilious manner. Two shining arrogant eyes had established dominance over his face and game him the appearance of always leaning aggressively forward.” (7)
We see that Tom Buchanan may not be the most likable man because he is arrogant, rich, racist, and not faithful to his wife. Even though he has become successful playing football, Nick’s first description of him portrays Tom as arrogant and supercilious. He is really wealthy and lives at East egg in his elaborate house. During dinner Tom expresses his racist beliefs by bringing up a book, “The Rise of the Colored Empires" and talking about how "It's up to us, who are the dominant race, to watch out or these other races will have control of things" (13). Nick also finds out that Tom has been cheating on his wife when Miss Baker tells him, “Tom’s got some woman in New York” (15). Tom has many flaws and bad qualities that make him seem like the opposite of Nick.
In the novel, Tom is very rich and is married to Nick’s cousin Daisy. I think that Tom’s role in the novel will be representing the rich of society that is corrupt and to full of themselves. He is rich yet racist, unfaithful, and very arrogant. I think he represents the worst of society and the corruption of people.
Quote:
"Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had” (1).
This quote from Nick’s father is important to the chapter and stood out to me because it made me realize all the advantages I have, yet I sometimes criticize people. When I criticize people, I sometimes don’t realize that I have had so many advantages such as my family, my friends, school, and all the opportunities I have been given. This quote made me realize not to be so quick in judgment because others may not have had the luxuries and opportunities I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment